August 27, 2011

Tentacles (1977)





A giant octopus, driven mad by high-frequency signals from equipment being used in the construction of a tunnel, starts snatching an oceanside town's residents out of their boats and strollers, and it's up to journalist Ned Turner (John Huston), Sheriff Robards (Claude Akins), and marine biologist Will Gleason (Bo Hopkins) to stop the sanguinary cephalopod.

It all starts when a mother parks her baby's stroller by the water and then leaves the child unattended for a moment while she goes to chat with a friend. She returns to find the stroller floating in the sea and her baby nowhere in sight (this is one thing I like about films of the 70s. If Tentacles had been made in the 90s or 2000s, it would've turned out that the baby had somehow survived. In the 70s, they weren't afraid to kill off a baby or two, and a lot of filmmakers probably would've had the kid's severed head float up to the surface for good measure). Later, a boat captain (complete with pegleg) is seen being dragged into the depths by one of his crewmen. The crew member isn't able to see the creature responsible for the captain's descent to Davy Jones' Locker, but when the remains are found later there's not much left.

Ned and the sheriff puzzle over what animal could've torn all the flesh from Captain Pegleg's skeleton and even sucked some of the marrow from his bones. They have no answers, so they turn to Will Gleason, who posits that the culprit is a giant octopus. More and more people begin to disappear, and Will is finally forced to come up with a creative way of dealing with the molluscan menace. I don't want to give anything away, but it involves killer whales.



Judging by its average rating on IMDb (3.2), most people didn't like this movie as much as I did. I can understand, to a point. There are some problems with the script. Actually, it often seems as though all copies of the script were lost at some point and the cast and crew had to reconstruct it from memory during filming. Glaring errors abound:

1.  As a compromise, Will Gleason assures his wife that rather than dive to 140 feet as he'd planned, he'll go no lower than 120 feet. A couple scenes later, she tells her sister that he promised to dive no lower than 150 feet.

2.  Though it's been established that the creature is a giant octopus, Ned refers to it as a giant squid at one point (perhaps this is meant to show that he doesn't care enough to distinguish between the two, or perhaps in an early draft of the script the monster was a giant squid and no one bothered to change Huston's copy, and then they didn't want to piss him off by asking him to do another take).

3.  The worst error is when Shelley Winters's character, Tillie, calls her son by the wrong name. Winters was in her mid-50s when this film was made, yet her character is supposed to be Ned's (played by 70-year-old Huston) older sister and she has a ten-year-old son. Seemingly suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's, Tillie first has trouble recalling her son's last name


and then confuses his first name with that of his friend.


(and whose idea was that hat in the first clip?)

If you can ignore flaws like these, and if you can cope with subplots that go nowhere or are left unresolved, and I can do both, you might enjoy Tentacles. Particularly if you like awesome diving scenes, aquatic life of all kinds, and a director (Ovidio G. Assonitis) who isn't afraid to experiment.


One more note: Maybe it's just that seeing John Huston had some part of my mind thinking about Chinatown, but I couldn't help but notice that one of the film's actors had the first name Claude and another had the last name Mulvihill.

  


2 comments:

  1. My Name is Kelly Williams from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete